How To Install A Toilet Seat
Installing a new toilet seat can be an easy process, whether your seat is old and needs to be replaced or you’re just wanting to give it a new look.
Here are some simple steps you can follow:
Measure your Current Toilet Seat
Before you browse for new toilet seats, make sure you’ve gotten accurate measurements of your toilet bowl. You can simply use a tape measure for the task.
Start by identifying the bolt holes that attach the seat to the toilet bowl and measure the distance between them. Then, measure the width and length of the bowl.
Choose Your Style Of Seat
The type of toilet seat you install is up to you and your preferences. You can opt for one similar to the one you had, or you can be more creative and fun with your new choice.
Here’s an overview of some options:
- Round – These are the most common seats you’ll find in a home and a popular choice. Their simple design also blends well with most décor.
- Open or U-Seats – A great choice if you’re wanting more space. This seat has commonly been used in public washrooms and is therefore a hygienic option.
- Oval/Elongated – This seat is commonly used in public washrooms as well and great for hygiene.
Additional options include soft-closing or raised seats for any special considerations or unique preferences. And although plastic is the most common material, you can also consider wood, polyresin or porcelain.
If you’ve got an eye for design and prefer a customized seat to match your washroom, plastic seats offer a variety of colors you can choose from. Or you can even get a transparent one.
Overall, there are many options for toilet seats. Whether you’re seeking a classic style or want to be creative, you can always customize them to your liking.
Gather Your Tools
You’ll mainly need just a flathead screwdriver and an adjustable wrench or pliers.
Spray oil and a small hacksaw are also optional.
Remove Your Old Toilet Seat
Here are 6 easy steps for removing a toilet seat:
- Find the seat bolts at the back of the toilet bowl and pop off the bolt covers. You may need to use a screwdriver
- Find the nuts behind the bowl that attach to the bolts.
- Loosen the nuts by turning them counterclockwise. Use an adjustable wrench if you aren’t able to do this by hand
- Remove the nuts from the bolts
- Remove the bolts
- Lift the old seat from its hinges
Attach Your New Toilet Seat
Your new seat may have already come with instructions. Make sure to review and follow these first. If you’re needing additional tips, follow these simple steps:
- Position the seat in place
- Drop your bolts through the holes in the hinges and bowl
- Make sure the head of the bolts are on top
- Attach the nuts to the other end of the bolts
- Turn the nuts into the bolts clockwise to tighten them. Use a wrench to ensure it’s completely tightened.
- Snap the seat into place
- Ensure the seat is firmly in place (Tip: Open and close the lid and slightly jiggle it)
There you have it! You’ve successfully installed your new toilet seat.
Why Choose A Service From High Mark Service Group
When you need service, you need it fixed fast and fixed properly. Highmark offers quick, affordable service as soon as possible. We are here for you!
- Our technicians are the most experienced available
- We offer a methodical approach so you do not have unneeded repairs
- Fully stocked trucks
- We do residential, commercial, and industrial asbestos service
- Your satisfaction is our goal
We Are Here For You
WE ARE PROUD TO SERVICE THE FOLLOWING AREAS
The information contained in https://highmarkplumbing.com is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by https://highmarkplumbing.com and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to https://highmarkplumbing.com or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on https://highmarkplumbing.com for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of https://highmarkplumbing.com.
Scott is an amazing plumber.. He started his career in the plumbing industry in 2001. He specializes in all areas of plumbing including commercial, residential, and service. In his free time Scott enjoys traveling and spending time with his family and wife.