Common Plumbing Problems In Old Homes
It’s no secret that old homes can be rife with issues, Whether you an existing or prospective owner of an old home it’s paramount to consider the common plumbing problems in old homes.
What is actually considered an “old home”? If you’re lucky to live in a city full of Heritage properties, the first thing that probably comes to mind is a charming Victorian era character home – full of nooks, crannies, quarks, as well as a grandeur. However, if you ask a plumber, they will likely consider a “old” home to be anything 30 years and above. As we enter 2021 and reflect back on the age of our homes, it’s easy to forget that a home built as recent as the 1980 is now 40 years old. Lets look at the most common plumbing problems in old homes:
1 - Pipe Bellies
2 - Clogging and Drain Issues
Decades of sewage and soap scum take a toll on an old home’s drains, filling and clogging them with gunk. Even with routine maintenance, any experienced plumber would say it’s nearly impossible to keep an old homes pipes blockage-free forever.
Tree Root Intrusion
Older homes may be surrounded by large tree roots that could threaten to break through sewer lines. Sewer lines take away the wastewater from a homes’ drains. It is then routed to the sewer main that connects to a local treatment plant. Compromised sewer lines could create a host of gross issues like overflowing drains, or waste coming back up the toilet after flushing.
Homes are also susceptible to age related perils. If you are looking to invest in a property and are considering an older home, or you already the homeowner of an old home, it’s always better to be proactive!
- Galvanized Piping: Galvanized pipes are a steel pipe that has a protective zinc coating (added to prevent corrosion and rust). Commonly installed in homes built pre-1960. Like with most metals, decades of exposure to water can cause the protective zinc coating on galvanized pipping to erode. This makes the galvanized pipes susceptible to rust. Water from rusty, galvanized piping can be hazardous to health and in some cases, even contain lead.
- Lead Piping: Before cast iron piping became common and people became aware of lead and its high toxicity, lead was the perfect material due to its malleability. Commonly used in homes built before the 1950’s, lead was still used to solder pipes together as recently as 1990.
- Polybutylene Piping: Polybutylene piping (or Poly-B) is a flexible grey pipping that has been subject to debates around its reliability. Whenexposed to excessive heat, high water pressure, and stress the reliability comes into question.. The high rate of failure in Polybutylene piping have resulted in many class-action lawsuits and replacement becomes a priority if they are still present in an old home.
Why Choose A Service From High Mark Service Group
When you need service, you need it fixed fast and fixed properly. Highmark offers quick, affordable service as soon as possible. We are here for you!
- Our technicians are the most experienced available
- We offer a methodical approach so you do not have unneeded repairs
- Fully stocked trucks
- We do residential, commercial, and industrial asbestos service
- Your satisfaction is our goal
We Are Here For You
WE ARE PROUD TO SERVICE THE FOLLOWING AREAS
The information contained in https://highmarkplumbing.com is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by https://highmarkplumbing.com and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to https://highmarkplumbing.com or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on https://highmarkplumbing.com for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of https://highmarkplumbing.com.